- CBI doesn't seem to know the SEBI order signed by K. M. Abraham on 6 September 2010 which rejected the application by MCX-SX to become a stock exchange. This roadblock was removed through a Bombay High Court decision by Justice Chandrachud on 16 September 2011 followed by something which happened at the Supreme Court on 11 April 2012.
- An interview with C. B. Bhave.
- N. Sundaresha Subramaniam in Business Standard tells us more about the 2008 event.
- See this story by Shaji Vikraman in the Economic Times today.
- Commentary by Dhiraj Nayyar and R. Jagannathan.
- Raghuvir Srinivasan in the Hindu.
- Mobis Philipose in Mint.
This is a good time to ruminate on the notion that CBI or Lok Pal should have independence. Underdevelopment is where the police are more dangerous than the criminals. Coercive power coupled with independence is a recipe for trouble. What is needed is far more thinking on how to do sound public administration, on the right mix of independence and accountability. Anger about corruption is not a useful source of good thinking in public policy.
This is also a good time to ruminate on the lack of rule of law in the determination of fit & proper.